Actual stable release from May 16, 2018: v1.8.0
My main focus has switched to reimplement this project in Rust as it allows me to realize my vision of a secure password manager which is not possible with Python. However I will publish bug fixes and answer bug reports if there are any. As KeePassC is stable and feature-complete this shouldn't be a reason for not using it anymore.
- License: ISC
- Author: Karsten-Kai König firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter
- License of editor.py: MIT
- Author of editor.py: Scott Hansen (firecat four one five three at gmail dot com)
- Bug tracker: https://github.com/raymontag/keepassc/issues?state=open
- Git: git://github.com/raymontag/keepassc.git
KeePassC is a password manager fully compatible to KeePass v.1.x and KeePassX. That is, your password database is fully encrypted with AES.
KeePassC is written in Python 3 and comes with a curses-interface. It is completely controlled with the keyboard (vim-like keys are supported).
Some features are:
- AES encryption of the database with password and/or keyfile
- Included customizable password generator
- KeePassX and KeePass v.1.x compatible (KeePass v2.x planned)
- Database entries are sorted in alphabetically sorted groups
- Subgroups of groups
- Entries are identified by a title
- Search entries by this title and show matches in an own group
- Set expiration dates to remind you that a new password is needed
- Unicode support
- Copy username and password to clipboard
- Auto-locking workspace and self-deleting clipboard with adjustable delays
- Options to remember last database and last keyfile
- Open URLs directly in your standard browser
- Optional use of vim/ranger-like keys
- Simple command line interface
- Network functionality including multiuser support
- The last can be used to omit password entering, too
An introduction can be found here.
An introduction for network use can be found here.
If all dependencies are fulfilled type 'python setup.py install' in the root directory of KeePassC.
There are packages in the ArchLinux User Repository:
Start the program with 'keepassc'. To get help type 'F1' while KeePassC is executed and you will see usage information to the current window (not in main menu).
A small commandline interface is available, too. Type 'keepassc -h'.
- Python 3 (>=3.3)
- kppy http://raymontag.github.com/kppy
- xsel (optional but necessary if you want to copy usernames and passwords to clipboard) http://www.vergenet.net/~conrad/software/xsel/
- A POSIX-compatible operating system
Third number means small bug fixes
Version 1.8 (May 16, 2018)
- Changed crypto package to PyCryptodome
- Relicensed with the ISC license
Version 1.7 (January 05, 2015)
- Default expiration dates when changing expiration date or creating new entries.
- Automatic line breaks when editing comments.
- xscroll in Editor with one line (e.g. when editing titles; was issue #40).
- Direct filepath searching with the editor (issue #37).
- Use pbcopy instead of xsel on Mac OS X (issue #59).
- Including spaces in password generation is optional now.
- Bug fixes.
Version 1.6 (August 16, 2013)
- A server-client structure is implemented for network usage or to omit password entering. SSL/TLS, threading i supported, too.
- Some little performance tweaks.
- Entry information are not cutted anymore if the window is to small.
- Expired entries are marked red.
- New help menu.
Version 1.5 (February 22, 2013)
- Support for moving groups and entries
- Password generator
- Configuration menu
- Autolocking feature with adjustable delay
- Self-deleting clipboard now with adjustable delay, too
- Full Unicode support
- Use of vim-like keys in menus
- Support for 'gg', 'G', '/' like in vim/ranger
- New editor to edit attributes of entries and groups and for other things, thanks goes to Scott (not for direct filepath, yet)
- Go to previous screen from every dialog
- Remember last opened database and keyfile and go to open dialog directly (of course everything is optional)
- Rearranged menus
- xsel is optionally
- Write entries unpuffered to console
- Annoying message while opening URLs is fixed
- Several bugs fixed
Version 1.4 (November 10, 2012)
- Show groups and entries alphabetically sorted
- Man page
- Option to show entries on commandline
- Search utility (type 'f')
- Showing a * if the file has changed
- Use of a generalized and commandable menu
- Clear the clipboard only if the content of clipboard
- was copied from the db and not from other programs
- Fixed several bugs
- Added support for keyfiles
- Can now parse a database through the command line
- When entering a filepath auto-completion loops through all possibilities
- It's now possible to use KeePassC without X by the possibility of showing the passwords
- Fixed several bugs
- Fixed a bug relating to auto-completion when entering a direct filepath
- Remembering the last opened database
- Can now close the program with Ctrl-C
- When creating a new database password entering needs a confirmation
- Added vim-like navigation
- Due to this help button is F1 now
- Typing a direct filepath including path-completition is supported
- Hidden files are supported
- Copy username to clipboard
- Open url in standard browser
- Fixed bugs (backspace and tmux, os.getlogin(), locking)